Sunday, September 11, 2011

Moms the Word

This past week you saw your grandmother, my mom. It was great. We stayed over night at my father's house with her and we were all together. Vincent had some free nights, and grandmother just loved you. She started tearing up on Saturday as she told me that she was going to miss us. I miss her too. She is such a giving person, I've never met anyone like her. Most people talk about their mothers or grandmothers with a sort of respect, a recognition that their parents made them, created their rules, and made lasting impressions on their psychology. I am one of those that shares much more with her parent. I am grateful to my mother for being that, and because now she is my friend. She's beautiful and it's sad because she's really a sucker. She gives and gives and gives in such a way that I think it might very well turn into a tragedy. I'm not nearly as giving. In fact, I'm a bit on the harsh side.

Indeed I was spoiled while she was here, as were you, but I like to think we were grateful and never frivolous with it. We went to a thrift store and I found a 'Santa' gift for you, as well as one from us. One is a plush cube with pictures on each face, and things you can grab attached. The other is a little piano with four big colored keys. It does not require batteries or anything fancy, which I especially like. Each key hits one of four different lengths of colored metal bars at the top of the piano. It sounds complex, but really it's quite simple, I assure you. Also, we went to various Yard Sales on Saturday. I was so happy because I found lots of things for you, especially books. I love getting books for you, because I want to read so many stories. These stories will be the first in your life, the building blocks for the foundation of your imagination. I can never have too many books or flash cards for you. I also got a couple gifts for some family. I know it's early to be planning for Christmas, but I always admired how my mother planned ahead. She was always thinking of us, gathering little things that we might like to make our holidays special, and so that she wouldn't be rushing around at the last minute.

Above: Your new Exersaucer.. your first experience in it. I finally got a full on smile photo of you! I was so happy. You don't like to stay in it for too long because your legs are not that strong yet. However you are thoroughly entertained in it. (August 2011)

Oh yes, and at the thrift shop I spied a few toys we gave to you now! Since you have outgrown most everything else it was the perfect time to upgrade you! I found an Exersaucer, castle themed, for ten dollars! It's like a little bouncer with lots of toys. And we bought a playmatt with toys that hang over you. You've started turning over like crazy, mostly from your back to your stomach. Suddenly it's as though it's second nature to you. Because you really want to sit and stand, the Exersaucer is something you really enjoy. AND, you'll be happy to know I got your Halloween outfit too! It's so wonderful to know that we are set for that. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, because it's Samhain, the night when the veils between the world of the living and dead are the thinnest. Also, I have such solid family memories of it. So, now that your grandmother is gone, it's back to our routine. I will miss her, as will you until we meet again. But in her absence we must busy ourselves and always look forward with hope and back with fondness. Looking forward... winter approaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment