Monday, October 24, 2011

A Fantasy Realm for the Night

Above: Your Aunt Miranda put her beanie on you, and you wore it! You are more receptive to dressing up than I previously assumed you would be. You even put on sunglasses before, which surprises me since you had to wear those dark eye covers strapped down when you were a newborn. (October 2011)

Halloween costumes are such a big part of the tradition! People believe the tradition of dressing up began because on Samhain it was told that fairies, ghosts, and other supernatural beings were out and about on this night, when the veil between the world of the dead and the world of the living is at its thinnest. Food and drink were left out to placate these spirits by homeowners so some say that this evolved over time into the idea of Trick 'r Treating. Or perhaps, others also say, the idea of wearing costumes derived from those that wore costumes in order to scare away the ghosts and ghouls by dressing up just as foul, or to protect themselves by "blending in" with the creatures of the night.

In any case, it's a big part of the holiday, and VERY important to me. I don't take costumes lightly. My mother always made our costumes or gathered the supplies from thrift shops. I didn't always appreciate that as a child, watching all of the other kids get store bought costumes. That is, until Halloween night. Then, with the finished product, I would boldly go about asking for candy and soaking up all of the compliments I would get for my original costume, while all of the other kids wore costumes that were cheaply made and falling apart. I hope I can do just as wonderful a job. I want to ask for a sewing machine for Christmas, so I can start honing in my skills, and because I do enjoy sewing! But in the meantime, I can hand sew, and I think we are creative enough to get by without. I have your outfit all set. Since you are so small I wanted something easy, that wouldn't require you to have to wear anything too special. Also, we didn't want anything typical, so Stewie, a character from Family Guy, was our favored choice! We found the red suspenders and yellow shirt at the thrift shop early on, and little shoes. I also found a small, stuffed Brian (the dog character who always accompanies Stewie) at the shop. So you're all set!

My mother was a big help for my costume. I'm still not certain what I would have been without her, but then, I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason! She found a costume for a Roman Goddess at a shop. It was only two dollars! It's perfect, and she sent me gold jewelry of hears to wear. I intent to work on some gold hair pieces to complete the outfit, and I will be Juno! Roman Queen of the Gods, known as Hera to the Greeks. Don't turn up your nose... she's beautiful, and in truth, I'd be really scared if she turned a negative eye to me! Hera/Juno was known to be a patron of marriage and women, but she was also known for her vengeful nature towards anyone who embarrassed her. Many stories involve her thwarting heroes or punishing someone.

And your father, of course, will be Alberto Del Rio! Today we found a suit at the shop. It was as if it was meant to be! I thought for sure he would be looking for ages, because often nice suits are hard to find. But he found a black suit, the jacket with the matching pants! They have tiny red stripes as well, which matches the shirt he was going to wear. Next, we had to go belt hunting. That was the most expensive piece of the outfit that could not be made. We ended up going to three stores before we found a child's WWE championship belt. It just barely fits him! And it was twenty dollars and so cheaply made.. but hey.. your father is so excited, and it really completes the outfit. I just told him we were NEVER going to get rid of that belt for how expensive it was! Lastly, Alberto wears a white scarf with gold letters embroidered. Here's where I get to get creative. We found a white cloth at the shop.. I've had to cut it lengthwise to make the scarf, so I'm having to arrange the trimming, and I bought gold paint to write the letters A and R which are at each end of the scarf.

My favorite thing about costumes isn't even that I expect mine to be the best. I really get involved because I ADORE seeing everyone dressed up. It's almost like a reunion of characters from all across worlds have come together and are meeting. It's my favorite part of the Halloween experience. I feel like I'm in a fantasy realm, watching a variety of characters interact. For this night everything is possible. You can meet or be your hero! You can be frightening, or ugly, or crazy and you are welcomed into another world. You can't be certain who you may come across! It's so phenomenal in that sense. I just love that each of us are something different and unique to us. Your cousin Oscar is going to be a fireman, and Annadee is going to be a cute little fairy bug. Your Aunt Miranda is going to be a black cat, and hopefully Aunt Kellie dresses up as well! I heard your Uncle Oscar won't, which is totally lame! I always feel a little bit of disappointment for those who don't dress up, especially when their excuse is, "It costs to much." Ridiculous! In any case, I'm really looking forward to taking a ton of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment