Tuesday, August 23, 2011

In with the new

Today we started a new schedule for you Cesar. Vincent’s bus route changes every so often, and this time around he chose a route that requires him to be out of the house earlier and home earlier as well. It’s a pretty big difference from those late nights. You were staying up until around three o-clock with us, although I don’t think that’s such a bad thing, since I imagine that you weren’t quite ready for an early morning type thing and would have kept us up until late anyhow.

This schedule actually seems more fitting, since you usually start getting cranky around midnight anyhow. Yesterday I took you to bed, and granted, there were several odd moments throughout the night in which you or I woke up, but you simply ate and drifted back to sleep. Vincent however, woke up at four thirty and apparently couldn’t get back to bed, so he worked on a few things around the house and is now at work. I suspect he will get a good night’s rest tonight!


Above: You and your father, about to embark on your routine Saturday trolley night ride! (July 2011)


The sad thing is, no more trolley rides… every Saturday for the past couple of months we rode the trolley that your father drove around downtown, but this new schedule does not include a day of trolley at all. It was nice while it lasted, and I can safely say that we made it every Saturday with the exception of the weekend before this last one, because it was thundering outside and I didn’t want to risk getting trapped in the rain since we don’t seem to have an umbrella in the house (strange, right?). In any case, it was a nice little something for us to do, although I am certain that we will pick up new habits soon enough.

I think it’s wonderful also that you take an interest in electronics. I see that you have taken note that we are using these strange objects (cell phones, computers, video games) and that they are a large part of our life and bring us pleasure. You’ve started to bang your hands on the computer if you can reach it, and you stuck your index finger out the other day and let me help you send a text message on my phone. You grab at controllers and try to slap at our phones. I personally believe it’s something to encourage especially if you’re interested in it. Computers are a big part of our lives today, I can just imagine the kinds of things they will be putting on the market when you get older. It’s almost a must for children to have a laptop for school. How strange to think that when I was going to school we still used plain old text books passed down from other classes, and when computers were introduced in high school it was a really big deal! They weren’t laptops either, they were large, bulky things with fat monitors and heavy parts.

Still, I like to balance out your computer interest with other things. The trolley rides were nice, and you also watch me work out for thirty minutes every day, and I like to read to you from time to time from a classic book (not an iPad). When you get a better hold of motor skills and can sit up I think you will be able to satisfy yourself with your toys a bit easier. But, in the meantime you still need our help, and our encouragement to get you to turn over! You’ve only done it those two occasions, and I am anxious to see it done again!

No comments:

Post a Comment