Thursday, September 15, 2011

Land of Fire!

Sometimes I think about where we live, and then I think about where it would be nice to live. Of course, I don't take the economy or any of that stuff into consideration... I'm just talking about weather in general. I have a soft spot for cold places, I always assume it's because my heritage Polish, German, all European, icy creatures like Vikings and Celts. So how did I end up here? By now you might think I should have gotten used to it, having been raised in southern states, but I haven't. I am VERY white, and have burned easily my entire life. My mother says I could have been a redhead, I have the completion for it. Throughout my life I've managed to tan, so when  you look at me now you might say, "Oh mom you're not THAT white." Years of getting sunburned by an hour in the sunshine (so badly I might add that I've had to stay home before with blisters all over my face) have given me a tan. But don't look at my legs.. my legs and stomach are a harsh reminder that not only did I not burn evenly, but that my skin tone is a wreck.

Vincent, in contrast, loves the weather here. Our hottest day was in August, reaching 112 degrees! I think I might have quoted it as being 110 in an earlier post, but I have since been corrected. I hate that. The winter stirs up romance in me, it makes me happy. Simply put, I LOVE being cold. I love that my mother lives in Michigan. I went there while I was pregnant with  you, and the four feet of snow mixed with the temperature was wonderful! It put me in such wonderful spirits to layer my clothing, to wear jackets and scarfs and dresses with leggings! Meanwhile here we are having raging fires from all the drought. Every day I have turned on the news this past week a new fire has popped up, robbing people of their homes, destroying land. Oh and these fires aren't just in the countryside either, they are in San Antonio. Some have burned apartment buildings. I seriously think the God of Fire has returned and made this his new home.

Makes me wonder what you will prefer. With any luck you will appreciate a bit of both, since I do hope to take you up north from time to time.

Above: Grandmother Val is from Michigan. Here she is hiding behind you! I hope to take you up there to visit someday. (September 2011)

1 comment:

  1. Here's hoping some of our rain drifts down your way. I always hated it when I lived in Texas. You guys should move up here!! *laugh* They are predicting snow before Halloween already. I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete